Micropiles are non-displacement piles constructed using high-strength structural elements, usually small-diameter steel casing and/or threaded bar encased in grout and are 300 mm in diameter or less.
- Support structures and foundations
- Improve mass stability
- Transfer loads
- Earth Retention Sytems
Micropiles are classified by numerous sub-types, each determined by the combination of widely varying drilling and grouting installation processes. Drilling methods include double-head duplex, rotary percussion, continuous grout flush, and rotary with polymer flush just to name a few. Grouting methods include straight tremie injection, dynamic grouting, pressure grouting during casing retraction, and tremie-injection with post-grouting.
Micropiles can be installed in any type of ground and especially in restricted access areas, low headroom interiors, permitting facility upgrades with minimal disruption to normal operations. Micropiles greatly alleviate the quality assurance concerns associated with cast-in-place piling in weak soils. Micropiles are typically used in situations where above-ground or below-ground conditions render the use of conventional deep foundations impractical, too difficult, or too risky to the health of neighbouring structures or services. This technique has been used to support buildings, tanks, modules, process equipment, pipe racks, bridges and other structures.
Keller has designed and constructed many projects across Canada. The vast majority of these projects included at least one static compression load test to 200% of micropile design loading.
- A Case 2 Micropile Network Employed At A Rapid Excavation Railway Project Download PDF (1.02 MB)
- Application Of Soil Bonded Micropiles In The Greater Toronto Area Download PDF (0.33 MB)
- Evolution Of High Capacity Micropile In The Metropolitan Toronto Area Download PDF (0.56 MB)
- Grout Flushed Micropile Foundations For A New Rail Overpass Download PDF (2.44 MB)
- Micropiles At The Transformation Ago Project Download PDF (0.54 MB)
- Micropiles At The West River Bridge Nova Scotia Download PDF (0.71 MB)
- Performance And Instrumentation Of Micropiles For A Paper Mill Expansion Download PDF (1.21 MB)
- The SMART Contractometer Its Application To Micropile Quality Assurance Download PDF (0.48 MB)
- Remedial Measures Incorporating Jet Grouting And Micropiles For The Construction Of A New Back Flow Preventer Download PDF (0.38 MB)
- Micropiles For Highway 3 Grand River Bridge Replacement Cayuga Ontario Download PDF (0.92 MB)
- Utilization Of Micropiles At The Expansion Of BMO Field Toronto Canada Download PDF (1.22 MB)
- Hybrid Excavation Support System For The Union Station Revitalization Project Download PDF (0.91 MB)
Earth Retention & Shoring
Water, Sewage & Waste Disposal
Secant or Tangent Piles
Kanata West Pumping Station
City of Ottawa